At Least Three Months Before Moving Day
Consider selling, tossing or donating anything you haven’t used in more than a year, or have a pre-move yard sale and make a little extra cash!
- If you want to save some money, gather sturdy boxes from grocery, furniture or electronics stores. It may take more time to get what you need, but they’ll be free!
- Start pre-packing. If you’re selling your home, this will help you clear out clutter and make your home appear more spacious to prospective buyers. Pack up most anything you don’t use on a daily basis.
- Label and/or color-code boxes to make unpacking easier. Place labels on the sides of boxes so you can see them when the boxes are stacked.
- For items that must be disassembled, keep screws, washers, and so forth in labeled plastic bags. Put all the bags in one box so they won’t get lost. Do the same with the cords from your electronics.
- Instead of wrapping each dish in newspaper or bubble wrap, separate your dishes with Styrofoam plates. Stack them in boxes vertically instead of flat. They’ll be less likely to break.